Saturday, November 8, 2014

Sunshine & Happiness

I love sunny days where the skies are as blue as can be and there are gatherings of bright white cotton clouds up there 'seizing the day' and beckoning me to join them. Such days give me a positive vibe and make me feel happy. And, I have often wondered whether they are just coincidences or a result of some correlations between sunshine and happiness.

A quick research over the internet show that when sunlight strikes the optic nerve, some of that light is transmitted to the gland of the brain which releases serotonin. Serotonin is a chemical which works as a neurotransmitter (some say hormone) to awaken us and cause us to feel good or confident. 

Additionally, when sunlight hits our skin, it helps our body to produce Vitamin D which, in turn, contributes to a higher level of serotonin.

From my own experience at night, if I want to stay alert to read or blog, turning on the room's light in addition to the desk lamp would distinctively keep me more awake. Now, I know that it is the impact of light on the production of serotonin.

Apparently, the lack of serotonin can lead to depression but scientists are unsure as to whether the lack of serotonin is one of the factor causing depression or depression itself (due to other contributing factors) decreases the level of serotonin.

Incidentally, there is also another neurotransmitter called melatonin which is affected by sunlight in the opposite direction (inversely proportional) to serotonin. After sunset, the level of melatonin increases to induce downtime for the body in tandem with the decrease of serotonin, and vice versa.

Besides sunshine, there are other cause agents such as people who makes us feel happy even when skies are grey and we would unabashedly declare to them that "You're My Sunshine!". I suppose, unbeknown to them, they help to increase the secretion of serotonin in our body and we ought to keep good company with them and be their sunshine, too.

Thank you for hanging on as I try to put a finger to the working relationship between sunshine and happiness. 

Permit me to leave you now with "You Are My Sunshine" by a promising 19-year-old new artiste, Reuby T, and an oldie hit "Una Paloma Blanca" by George Baker.

I wish you more sunshine and happiness!



No comments:

Post a Comment