Sunday, May 28, 2017

The Last 3 Wishes of Alexander the Great

Alexander III of Macedon, commonly known as Alexander the Great, is regarded as one of history's most successful military commanders. Even though he was undefeated in battles, there was an adversary he could not overcome -- his own terminal illness.

At his deathbed, he apparently summoned his generals to carry out his final 3 wishes without wavering:

1. "My physicians alone must carry my coffin."

2. "When my coffin is being carried to the grave, the path leading to the graveyard be strewn with gold, silver and precious stones which I have collected in my treasury."

3.  "Both my hands be kept dangling out of my coffin."


His generals were stunned by the instructions. By the by, his favourite general plucked up the courage to ask him about the unusual requests.

In reply, Alexander has this to share with us:

1) 'I want my physicians to carry my coffin because people should realize that no doctor on this earth can really cure any body. They are powerless and cannot save a person from the clutches of death. So let not people take life for granted.'

2) "I spent all my life earning riches but cannot take anything with me. Let people realize that it is a sheer waste of time to chase wealth."

3) "I wish people to know that I came empty handed into this world and empty handed I go out of this world."

Now, wouldn't it be great if we could keep in mind our mortality and the purpose we are planted where we are right now so that we can serve others and leave an enduring legacy?

We are responsible for our own health. We need to watch our diet, keep fit, de-stress and sleep adequately so that our body can heal itself (with the help of medical prescriptions from medical doctors, if need be). The biblical perspective for overcoming physical death could be found, inter alia, in John 3:16.

Wealth is good, but it is not the ultimate goal in life. Wealth shared with those who need some help or can't help themselves makes for a better life one person at a time. And, when wealth is used to benefit an entire community and beyond, then it generates the greater good all-round. Then, there is the greatest need for people to have a divine perspective of life with a heart to pursue close fellowship with God Himself. See Matthew 6:19-21 for what Jesus Christ had to say concerning our treasures.  

Death is the great equaliser. What we have done for ourselves would be gone when we are gone. But the good that we do for others would live on. One of the richest man of the East, Job, lost all his children and livestock in one day. His response is as follows:

“Naked I came from my mother’s womb,
And naked shall I return there.
The Lord gave, and the Lord has taken away;
Blessed be the name of the Lord.” -- Job 1:21 (NKJV)

Job recognised the Sovereignity of God -- that everything belongs to God. What we have is temporary or, at the most, on a leasehold basis with an expiry date. When we purchase a car, it comes with an instruction manual for us to know how best to upkeep our vehicle in prime condition. Whaddaya know, God has already given us an instruction manual, the Holy Bible, for all mankind to take heed as early and as soon as possible.

Food for thoughts indeed from the Alexander the Great Commander and Jesus Christ the Great Teacher (the Son of God and the Son of Man).


























No comments:

Post a Comment