Saturday, October 4, 2014

I Am Saying Nothing By Saying Something

I enjoy watching The Voice with my family as with millions of others the world over. It’s a singing competition which is famous for its Blind Auditions where the judges are seated with their backs facing the aspirant singer. (The other no less distinctive stages of this competition are the Battle Rounds, the Knockouts, the Live Playoffs and, finally, the Live Performance Shows.)

If any of the judges thinks you have potential to progress and grow as a singer on the basis of your voice alone, he or she will hit a button and the chair will turn around with “I WANT YOU” lighted up at the base of the chair. 

It gets more interesting when more than one of the judges want you. When this happens, they will start to engage in mental gymnastics or semantics to ‘fight’ for you to join their team and be your coach -- which has evolved into a show by itself; a la show within a show.

In this current season of The Voice, the four judges are: Adam Levine, Gwen Stefani, Pharrell Williams and Blake Shelton. It is such fun to watch them exchange banter and draw from their arsenal of resourcefulness to persuade and (hopefully) secure whom they believe could be transformed into an eventual champion.

Well, I would love to hear from one of the sterling stallions’ mouths something along these lines to a prized contestant in a future episode and pull it off with a deadpan expression:

“We are all equal, but one of us is a tad more equal than the others. Now, I am not saying that I am better than the other three judges although they may disagree with me on my saying what I have just said --which is no problem for me, either way. What I am saying is that I am saying nothing by saying something so that you can make an independent and informed choice. So, who would choose to be your coach?”


Click here to start getting into The Voice and be inspired to pursue your dreams.

No comments:

Post a Comment